This year has already been full of storms. While your suntan may be suffering so far due to the heavy rainfall, your home may also be at risk. Mid-June to mid-July is our busiest thunderstorm and severe weather season, making summer home maintenance a high priority to protect your home.
Exterior Summer Home Maintenance
- Clean your gutters and downspouts, and tighten them if necessary, because they may have been loosened during previous storms.
- Do a thorough walk-through of your roof, identifying and repairing any loose or damaged shingles. Discoloration, missing shingles and leaks are just a few indicators that require a professional assessment.
- Paint Touch-Up
- Blistering or cracked paint should be repainted to avoid wood rot.
- Repaint wood frames on doors and windows.
- Minor problem areas can be spot-treated, but more widespread issues may require an entire exterior repaint.
- Water your lawn just before sunset, not during the afternoon. This will allow the water to be thoroughly absorbed without it evaporating in the strong heat.
- Remove dead plants and weeds, and add mulch.
- Inspect areas for insect infestations.
Siding & Deck
- Power wash the deck and reapply sealant to protect the wood.
- Use a garden hose to clean the siding, and replace or repair any damaged areas.
Interior Summer Home Maintenance
- Change the furnace filter monthly, or at least every other month. The same HVAC system that circulates air in the winter will be moving air in the summer as well. Frequently changing your filter improves the air quality in your home and allows air to flow through so your fan can work less.
- Monitor humidity. A telltale sign of too much humidity is window condensation on the inside of your home. Or, you can purchase a digital hygrometer to monitor efficiently. If the humidity rises, consider a dehumidifier.
- Check your windows and doors for any leaks or cracks to ensure your valuable cool air is staying inside.
- Replace paint and caulking when and where necessary.
If you consider yourself a “do-it-yourselfer,” these summer home maintenance tips should be a breeze to complete. If you prefer a professional opinion, a trustworthy contractor is a beneficial resource to ensure your home is protected inside and out.
Bloomfield Construction takes great pride in servicing Metro Detroit with quality roofing, siding and damage restoration solutions. As the Michigan experts, we know what’s best for your home in its current climate. We’ll provide you with a complete assessment and help you understand whether a replacement is required or if a minor repair will do the trick.
Is your home ready for a professional inspection or repair? Give us a call at (248) 333-3987.
Latest posts by Jeff Petrucci (see all)
- Beware of Storm Chasers – Homeowners Insurance Scams - May 31, 2017
- 6 Questions to Ask When Replacing Home Siding - October 13, 2016
- 7 Reasons We Love Being a James Hardie Contractor - June 4, 2016